Loaner program for video magnifying machines
We recently learned about an exciting new resource for low vision patients. Perkins School for the Blind is the eastern Massachusetts center for the federal Talking Book Program. Perkins also has started a long term loaner program for video magnification machines. New video magnifiers costs range from $500 to $2,000. The video magnifiers that are being offered in the Perkins program are used machines but at no cost!
There are a few conditions for someone to be eligible for the program:
· The person has to become a patron of the library. This is a simple application process that is done by authorized organizations. Visions of Independence is an authorized agent to enroll patrons as a Perkins library patron
· The applicant has to be a Massachusetts resident
· Patrons have to make their own arrangements to pick up and return the machines
· The patron has to understand that this is a loaner program and that the video magnification machines have to be returned to the library when the patron is no longer using the machine.
· The program is primarily meant for low income individuals but really anybody can apply.
These video magnification machines can be a very important tool for low vision patients. They are a great resource for spot reading; bills, mail and writing out checks. For more information about how to enroll a low vision patient, call our office: 781-784-3320